Certificate Program of Proficiency in Pastoral Spanish
Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary is preparing men to meet people in the culturally diverse communities where they will serve as deacons and priests. The Certificate Program of Proficiency in Pastoral Spanish verifies competency in Spanish, understanding of cultural matters and expertise in pastoral work. This comprehensive program prepares deacons for pastoral work and aids bishops in their placement of newly-ordained priests.
The Pastoral Spanish curriculum builds pertinent skills that help deacons and priests connect with people in real ways and through real life events. Upon completion, students are able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in all five linguistic skills of reading, writing, speaking, listening and culture
- Celebrate the Sacraments in Spanish
- Preach in Spanish
- Teach in Spanish for parish programs, such as RCIA, Bible study, Pre-Jordan and Pre-Cana.
- Connect to the faithful in written Spanish in Church bulletins, letters of eligibility and parish websites.
- Understand reverent traditions that are pertinent to weddings, baptisms, presentations and quinceañeras.
Learn more about the study abroad program and certificate requirements.