Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service that helps eligible patrons obtain materials unavailable in the Ryan Memorial Library. Use of interlibrary loan services is restricted to faculty teaching current classes and to students enrolled in current classes.
Borrowing over ILL
Currently enrolled Saint Charles Seminary students, and currently active faculty and staff are eligible for interlibrary loan service.
Requests will be made for books, copies of articles, and, under special circumstances, audiovisual material. The Library will make a concerted effort to obtain obscure or restricted material, like dissertations in typescript, but cannot guarantee that every request will be fulfilled.
If an item has been identified as available at a local library, then the patron will be encouraged to get the material at the local library, rather than use interlibrary loan.
How To Make An ILL Request:
- Search for the item you wish to borrow in our catalog. Make sure that we do not already possess the item!
- Once you find the correct book, click the picture to the right labeled 'Request a Book' and fill out the form. Our librarians will process your request as quickly as possible.
- Go on to any of our Databases and search for the article you wish to borrow. (You can also make this same search in the catalog by narrowing the results to "Articles.") Make sure that we do not already possess the article in print or digital format!
- Once you find the correct article, click on the "Email" button on the right side of the screen.
- In the "Email to" field, write firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Subject should be "ILL Request."
- Finally, remember to write your name, patron status (student, staff, faculty), and phone number in the Comments box.
- Click Send.
- NOTE: An alternative method is to click the picture to the right labeled 'Request an Article' and fill out the form. Our librarians will process your request as quickly as possible.
All interlibrary loan requests must be picked up at the library. Interlibrary loan staff will notify patrons when their materials arrive. Material will be kept for two weeks at the front desk of the library after the first notification.
Charges and Renewals:
In most cases, the Library will not charge library patrons for interlibrary loans. However, if the Library can only obtain an item with a charge attached, it may ask the patron for remuneration. Patrons will be notified of the potential charge before the Library agrees to the transaction.
It is the responsibility of the patron to pay for any charges that the lending library may impose if an item is lost, damaged, or late.
If there is a need for a patron to renew materials, the interlibrary loan staff will attempt to make one renewal. The patron should request a renewal at least one week before the original due date. The lending library has the right to deny the request for renewal. If this occurs, the book must be returned by its original due date.
Lending over ILL
The Ryan Memorial Library will give first priority to requests from TCLC & SEPTLA libraries. Requests from libraries in other states will be honored if the books are available.
We do not fulfil requests for audio-visual materials, computer software, rare or special collection books, manuscripts, or dissertations.