The JOHN CARDINAL FOLEY CHAIR
of Homiletics & Social Communications
Begun in 2013-14, the John Cardinal Foley Chair seeks to support the work of the Catholic Church in the realm of social communications by teaching seminary students and church groups, working with staff in parishes and (arch)dioceses, and engaging in dialogue with journalists and media professionals.
Beginning July 1, 2017 the position will be held by the Rev. Thomas F. Dailey, O.S.F.S., S.T.D.
This endowed chair is a faculty position named in honor of His Eminence John Cardinal Foley (1935-2011), a Philadelphia native who served the universal Church as President of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications (1984-2007) and Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem (2007-2011).
The work of the Cardinal Foley Chair is guided by an Advisory Committee appointed by the Rector of the Seminary. The members of the committee are professionals in the world of social communications, seminary education, and church life. The committee also benefits from the insights of national and international "consultors" in the realm of media and communications.
UPCOMING EVENTS ...
- August 28, 2017 - the annual "Cardinals' Forum"
- October 19, 2017 - meeting of the Advisory Committee
- January 29, 2018 - the annual Cardinal Foley Lecture, with Bishop Robert Barron
- March 15, 2018 - meeting of the Advisory Committee
- May 24, 2018 - the annual Cardinal Foley Symposium, celebrating the World Day of Social Communications