About Saint Charles
Founded in 1832 by Reverend Francis Patrick Kenrick, third Bishop of Philadelphia, Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary is the oldest Catholic institution of higher learning in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary’s mission is to form priests to be shepherds after the heart of Jesus Christ, and permanent deacons, religious and lay men and women for various forms of ministry, service, and discipleship.
Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary is a rich resource of priestly formation and theological instruction for religious and lay men and women throughout the United States.
The Seminary is comprised of three distinguished programs
Partner dioceses and religious congregations entrust their men to the Theological Seminary and College Seminary, confident in Saint Charles’ commitment to the Four Dimensions of Formation, exercised in fidelity to the Magisterium of the Church.
As a center of enrichment for the larger Church community, Saint Charles provides ongoing academic and pastoral programs to priests, deacons, religious and laity through the School of Diaconal Formation and the School of Theological Studies. Students work toward academic degrees, catechetical certificates and more.
With more than 190 years of rich tradition, Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary has entered a pivotal point in its history. Guided by the Rector, Reverend Keith Chylinski, ’07, Saint Charles is undergoing exciting changes that include new programs and faculty as well as partnering with area Catholic colleges to provide courses in subjects such as servant leadership.