Protests and Demonstrations
Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary supports the right of persons to lawfully assemble and conduct peaceful protests. We ask members of the Seminary community to follow these guidelines whenever such a gathering becomes disruptive or has the potential to become violent:
- Avoid the area of disturbance and observe the situation from a safe distance to determine if the gathering is currently or potentially violent.
- Do not engage the demonstrators or protesters either verbally or by actions.
- Notify the Safety & Security Department (610-785-6238) and await instructions.
- If inside, secure your area (lock doors, files, vital records, and expensive equipment).
- Continue with normal routines as much as possible.
- Keep away from doors and windows and Stay Inside!
- Prepare for evacuation or relocation.
Historical Fact: In May of 1844, the Bishop of Philadelphia had petitions posted requesting Catholics to remain calm after rioters burned churches and attacked the faithful. Click on this poster for an expanded view.